Thursday 28 July 2011

Scottish Premier League Week 2

Another excellent array of games for week 2 of the SPL. Amusingly, Celtic do not play another SPL game until August 13 due to friendlies arranged with teams from sensible competitions that don’t start until mid-August. Below is a preview of what I believe to be the best betting propositions for week 2.

Inverness CT v Hibernian (Inverness CT @ $2.30)

Inverness opened the season with a 3-0 loss at Motherwell - not exactly ideal form for my tip for an Inverness win. However, I saw enough in that loss to Motherwell to think they can overcome a Hibs team that is a little out of sorts. Hibs lost 2-0 at home to Celtic, and while that isn’t exactly a disaster, they were far from even half way decent.
Inverness weren’t that bad against Motherwell. They had chances and were perhaps a little unlucky. I expect them to bounce back at home in the Highlands where they comfortably dispatched Hibs last season (albeit with a much different team).

St Johnstone v Rangers (Total goals under 2.5 plus Rangers @ $1.50)

The final recommended game is definitely an interesting game. St Johnstone were very ordinary against Aberdeen last week, and Aberdeen are not a team I have been rating overly highly for this coming season. Rangers were outplayed by Hearts and lucky to get the draw, then played midweek (with pretty much the same team) and lost at home to Malmo in the Champions League.
I would expect some changes to the Rangers squad. On that basis, I think Rangers can bounce back, but I think it will be a tight affair. The over/under goals for this game is 2.5 at @sportingbetoz at odds of $1.91, and that is odds I’m very keen to chomp up.
I do think Rangers will win the game either 1-0 or 2-0, so might include the $1.50 on offer for a Rangers win in any multi’s.

Kilmarnock v Motherwell (Draw @ $3.25 / Motherwell @ $2.70)

I found this fairly difficult to judge. I have chopped and changed my mind on this game countless times. Kilmarnock looked decent against Dundee United, yet I felt they were very lucky to get the draw. Motherwell were very impressive against Inverness CT, however, I have Inverness as one of those teams that will struggle for the year.
I have felt this game has two options. Either a draw or a Motherwell win. The Motherwell win is mainly based on Jamie Murphy having another outstanding game, like he did against Inverness.
I’m going to back the draw, but save on the Motherwell win. On that basis I am convinced you cannot lose.

Hearts v Dundee United (Hearts @ $2)

The only thing stopping me from declaring this as a Hearts moral (which it probably still is) is the fact that they play a Europa League match on Thursday night (Friday morning AEST). Otherwise, I would take Hearts with the utmost of confidence (2-0 at least). Having said that, I have still backed Hearts but am a little less confident.
Hearts were ultra impressive at Ibrox on the weekend, dominating the game for the majority of time. Dundee United were a little disappointing. While David Goodwillie will undoubtedly be boosted knowing the rape charges against him have been dropped, there is far too much speculation and uncertainty surrounding his future at Dundee Utd. I am not sure we’ll see the best of him prior to a departure down south.

Other game

The other game to be played is St Mirren v Aberdeen. I am not as confident with this game, but have placed my bet all the same.

St Mirren/Aberdeen looks a difficult one to project. St Mirren did look pretty good against Dunfermline, but the Pars were a division 1 side so they could’ve been a touch flattered. Aberdeen did impress me against St Johnstone and, to me, were unlucky they did not win. Still, I think this might result in a draw ($3.25) and have bet accordingly.

1 comment:

  1. Already felt that the Hearts/Dundee United game might be all Hearts but was a little unsure due to the European venture only a couple of days ago.

    Now? With Goodwillie expected to be on his way to Blackburn (therefore not expected to play) plus Hearts impressive performance in Europe, I am so confident they will win comfortably at home.

    ReplyDelete