Wednesday 7 September 2011

Scottish Premier League - Week 7 Preview

Scottish Premier League - Week 7 Preview

I’m always a little concerned heading into a weekend of games when there has been an international break. I know probably not a lot of SPL players were involved in international fixutres (outside of Celtic/Rangers) but its still a little tricky. Maybe it is just a tough round of SPL games. Maybe its because the week off also gave me a week off, who knows. My advice is slightly smaller bets this week.

As always, I have highlighted the better bets below, but a preview is provided for all games.

St Mirren v St Johnstone (St Mirren @ $2.40)

Absolutely love the way St Mirren has been tracking this season. They generally been a decent odds and have provided some nice results for us. They conceded two early goals against Celtic last game, yet didn’t back down. They had 57% possession against the SPL’s best team (yes, I know they’re not top!). That is excellent, plus Nigel Hasselbaink returned in sensational form.
St Johnstone have been a little better than I expected this year but I cannot see them beating St Mirren. Games like this are often a danger, with two ‘little’ clubs, but I’m confident St Mirren can do the job, and $2.40 seems good odds.

Kilmarnock v Dunfermline (Kilmarnock @ $1.83)

Happy to back Killie this week despite them costing me last week at Inverness. They’re a good side and a return home, where they are unbeaten, should see them see off Dunfermline.
The Pars have been going okay themselves and do hold a 1-0 away win at Tannadice Park (Dundee United). Possible they could claim a point here, but I’m happy to back the home side at okay odds.

Inverness v Hearts (Hearts @ $2.35)

Think Hearts will have too much class for Caley. I am a big fan of what Terry Butcher has done with Caley but if Hearts are a top 4 side then they really should be winning this. The odds seem about right and I’m happy to be on.

Dundee United v Rangers (Rangers @ $1.50)

This is an interesting one. I have no idea how the week off may have improved Rangers. They definitely needed it. With all the pressure mounting on them, with new signings joining the club, maybe it is just a case of needing a break from it all. Maybe it will help them improve immensely. Not sure.

Dundee United haven’t been bad this year, but they’re definitely missing David Goodwillie. Six points from six games is not nearly good enough for the talent this side has. I was originally leaning to a Rangers win, with a small play on a draw, but we’ll go with just the Gers win.

Other Games

Hibernian v Aberdeen (Draw @ $3.20, Aberdeen @ $2.80)

This is a trick game, but I think I have the answer. Aberdeen put in a much improved performance against Rangers, and were a little unlucky not to have found the back of the net, dominating much possession in the 2nd half. However, that has been their problem all season (ok, except when playing Inverness). While they definitely did look good against Rangers, though Rangers were definitely down after their European exit, I still wonder how they will fare in this game.
Hibs are awful. Downright awful. But, they did show some improvement in their derby game against Hearts. I’m going with the draw in this game, as while I think Aberdeen are much better, I’m still not completely convinced. I still have major concerns about Hibs defence, it might just be bad enough to gift the Dons a goal. For that reason only I will have a small play on the Aberdeen win too.

Celtic v Motherwell (Draw @ $5.25)

I know this probably doesn’t seem like a great idea, but I’m still convinced Motherwell can take one of the Old Firm down, and while it is a big ask to do it at Celtic Park, I’m gonna have a crack anyway.
Can’t see Motherwell winning this one, but a draw is definitely on the cards. Motherwell looked very good last week in their bounce back game against Dunfermline. Celtic still haven’t hit their straps yet, so I can see them dropping a couple of points. They’ve moved a couple of players on and a few of their stars from last season, such as Commons, haven’t found their form as yet.
Definitely only a small bet, but I’m happy to take the draw.


$10 for a St Mirren/Hearts/Killie multi!

1 comment:

  1. Important to note Nikica Jelavic is out of Rangers game at Tannadice Park.

    On that basis I will definitely be taking a small DRAW ticket

    ReplyDelete