Friday 16 September 2011

Scottish Premier League - Week 8 Preview

Scottish Premier League - Week 8 Preview

As suggested, small bets were the way to go last week. Only a 3-3 result, which is disappointing considering the recent run of form.

When you look at the actual games, we were a little stiff. The goal Hearts conceded in their draw with Inverness (we had Hearts win) was an absolutely ridiculous goalkeeping error. You’d struggle to see that error again in the SPL this season.

St Mirren outplayed St Johnstone but couldn’t find the back of the net. St Johnstone seem to find a way to get teams to play at their level – that is, their level of struggling to find the back of the net (only 4 goals scored by St Johnstone this season).

And yes, I knew I shouldn’t, but I did, taking the Celtic/Motherwell draw. I won’t do it again, I promise!

On to this week’s games and needless to say I am back with confidence. Some outstanding fixtures this week, and not just from a betting perspective.

As always, I have highlighted the better bets below, but a preview is provided for all games.

Rangers v Celtic (Draw @ $3.10, Celtic @ $2.63)

Not necessarily a game I’ll go hard at, but I have to put it top as it is one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports. Yes it is definitely down about 20 notches from 10 years ago, but still, give me a Rangers/Celtic game over just about any other football game in the world. The passion cannot be equalled.

Anyway, onto this instalment. If this were at Celtic Park, I’d have no qualms in declaring Celtic a moral. I would expect them to be around $2 too, and anything above would be value.

Celtic are starting to put together some good form. Craig Forrest was outstanding last week against Motherwell, starring in the role usually reserve for Kris Commons. While Commons is out of form, and on the bench, I do expect him to play a decent part in this encounter. You must play your best players, often regardless of form, in these Old Firm matches. Commons is still class.

Rangers have been quite fortunate for mine this year, getting results when not really deserving them. Their midfield is very good but their forwards haven’t been on fire, and their defense has seen more combinations than the Federal Reserve vault. (if there is one)

I will be taking the draw because Rangers will be lifted by their home support plus Celtic have an away Europa League trek to Madrid to contend with, but will also play a small bet on the Celtic win. Anything can happen in these games, I wonder what odds at least 1 red card?

Motherwell v St Johnstone (Motherwell @ $1.90)

Despite St Johnstone’s ability to get the opposition to play at their level (ie. no goals), Motherwell will be too good here.
Yes I know I have been burned pretty well in Motherwell contests against the Old Firm, but I fully expect them to bounce back at home against a team that will struggle to score all season.
Motherwell will revert to their usual style (as opposed to whatever that was v Celtic) and I see Higdon, Murphy & Law being far too good for their opposition. Watch the comments, may have a score bet too.

Dunfermline v Hibs (Dunfermline @ $2.38)

Slightly tricky game but Dunfermline should win. If Dunfermline can score twice at Killie and v Motherwell, win at Dundee Utd, St Johnstone…they win here.
Originally had the draw bet as well, at $3.20) mainly because I’m not sure how good or reliable Dunfermline are, but based on the above form, surely they win. Surely?

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock (Draw @ $3.20, Kilmarnock @ $2.70)

I’m puzzled. Both teams have tricked me this season. Aberdeen haven’t looked that bad at times this season, but without doubt they struggle to score. Killie have looked super impressive at times, yet throw up poor results like the loss at Inverness.
I think the draw might be the right result, but will take a Killie win also for a smaller play.

Other Games

Dundee United v Inverness CT (Dundee Utd @ $1.80, Draw @ $3.40)

Good odds for the draw, or the Caley win. Really confused. Again I stress, I really rate Dundee Utd. But when you look at the standings, they are 9th. They have 1 win from 7 games (disgraceful). They have 7 goals in 7 games (disgraceful when you consider shots taken, teams played etc). THEY HAVE A -5 GOAL DIFFERENCE – perhaps the most disgraceful stat of all.

Still, I feel they are a very good team. I’ve mentioned this in just about every blog so far, they miss David Goodwillie. They don’t seem to have a striker who can score on a consistent basis yet they will create themselves plenty of chances over the course of the game.
Again I watched them be unlucky, this time against Rangers.

Will only be playing small in this game, with the United win plus the draw. Inverness CT are still a very decent side and not as bad as their record suggests (hang on, 1 win from 7 games, 7 goals scored, 10th, -6 GD…hmmm). I have them pegged as 8th best in the SPL thus far…am I really that insane?

Hearts v St Mirren (St Mirren @ $4.20, Draw @ $3.40)

Going to take the value in this game. Hearts are a better overall side for sure, but something tells me that St Mirren come very close to matching it with them and, if Hasselbaink fires, could most certainly cause an upset. At the odds, I’m very happy to take St Mirren.

@wiggum7534

1 comment:

  1. Definitely worth taking the NO DRAW bet on Dunfermline in their match against Hibs - $1.83 on offer!

    ReplyDelete